Yup, that’s a serious blog title right there. I’m hopefully going to tell you how you can make your life a hundred times better with a little silliness. There’s so much we have to deal with these days, and so many things to worry about, that something has to give.
You can’t be serious all the time and spend your entire life trapped in the cycle. You know what will help you break the monotonous cycle that we get stuck in? A little silliness.
Recently I have had a bit of a change in attitude. I had a few silly moments where I really felt like I was being 100% myself. I didn’t care about what anyone thought of me, all that mattered was that I was having fun.
One of these moments was when I went out with a friend on an impromptu night out. That night I was dancing in a bar like there was no one else around. It kind of felt like when you are wearing sunglasses and pretend no one else can see you.
I was dancing like a lunatic and channeling David Brent. People probably thought I was a right nutter, but you know what? I was having an absolute ball.
I wasn’t trying to be sexy or impress anyone or be someone I’m not.
At that moment, when I was dancing like an idiot behind the security guard, I had no worries. After that night I wanted to capture that feeling, and carry it around with me everywhere.
When I was in junior school my friends used to call me ‘silly kiri’. I feel like after what life’s thrown at me, and because of my anxiety and the fact that I constantly worry, I have lost that part of myself. The little girl who didn’t have a care in the world, was lost, but now I’m hoping to find her again.
Fun often seems so out of reach these days, so when we are allowed to drop our guard and get rid of our poker face, we feel very exposed.
We shouldn’t be afraid of letting down our barriers and being who we really are. Thanks to social media, it feels like our life is constantly under the microscope, so we may keep some parts of our personality back.
Embrace your stupid, geeky, crazy or funny side, and do it without a care in the world. Honestly, try it, there’s no better feeling in the world. Being silly makes you laugh, it might even make others around you laugh, even if they are cringing inside.
There’s a lot of pressure to be perfect these days, to post pictures of ourselves looking flawless, and to share the very best bits of our lives. I’d personally like to see more selfies of people making an idiot of themselves on Instagram than ones where people think they are the bees knees.
Let’s embrace our not so perfect side every now and then with a little lighthearted silliness.
So how can you add more silliness into your life?
- Find moments to dance spontaneously. When you are sat in your car at a set of traffic lights, when you are cleaning your house with the music on, or when you are in a club and feel like getting your groove on.
- Be your true self. Silliness doesn’t have to be forced. Just be yourself, instead of trying to hold back, and you will find those moments of silliness occur more often and more naturally.
- Don’t be afraid of judgement. If someone sees you acting like an idiot and they make a comment, ignore them. Show them that you are 100% comfortable in your skin. If you let other people get to you and worry about everything you do in front of others, you won’t have much silliness in your life.
- Be spontaneous. Being more spontaneous can help you get a bit more out of life. You might just try things you would otherwise be afraid of trying. If you are feeling silly then don’t hold back, find a way to express yourself.
- Laugh more. Set a goal to try and laugh more, and to try and make other people laugh, no matter how silly you like. Those hilarious moments where you laugh so hard it hurts are wonderful.
So here goes. I’m going to record stupid videos, randomly break out into a dance when I feel like it, sing at the top of my voice to really cheesy songs and be the person I was meant to be. I bet my life will be far more interesting and better off because of it. Care to join me?